PowerPivot for the Business Analyst (Online)
Training Course Sections
06/17/13 - 06/18/13
9:00 AM - 12:00 PM EST
10/21/13 - 10/22/13
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM EST
Training Course Overview
PowerPivot for the Business Analyst is a two-day virtual course that is designed to get you up to speed using Microsoft’s quintessential self-service BI tool quickly and productively. PowerPivot changes the game when it comes to reporting and visualization, whether you have a very small data set with one data source or millions of records and data sources in multiple systems. PowerPivot, and its expressions language DAX, can provide insight into your business that you’ve only ever dreamed of! By the end of this course, you will understand how to create, manage, and share your PowerPivot workbooks to start gaining insight and driving results immediately!
IMPORTANT: When you purchase a seat in this class you also receive 1 hour of our BI Virtual Mentor service for assistance with YOUR project work. This remote service lets you work ONE on ONE with our BI mentors to accelerate YOUR project and further improve YOUR skills. Your Virtual Mentor hours can be used during business hours anytime during the 12 months following your class. To set up a session, download this simple questionaire, fill it out, and send it as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. This unique Pragmatic Works offering insures that your training will translate into real world success for YOUR projects.
Training Course Prerequisites
The target audience of this class is the business analyst who is interested in analyzing large amounts of data using a self-service BI environment. This class assumes that you have no previous knowledge of PowerPivot or DAX. Experience with Microsfot Excel 2010 is required. Some experience using pivot tables and formulas in Excel may be helpful.
- AdventureWorksDW2012 database installed on an accessible instance of SQL Sever
- 1 GB of available RAM (recommended 4 GB or more)
- GHz CPU (recommended 2 GHz or faster)
- Windows XP Professional, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows Server 2012, Windows 8 or Windows RT
- Excel 2010 or greater
Terms & Conditions
A class recording will be available via the web for a limited time for students who missed a session. Recordings are copyright protected and may not be distributed to others.
One Student Per Seat
We limit the number of students in each class to maintain a proper student to instructor ratio. Each purchased seat in a Virtual Training class is for use by one student only.
Students must provide at least 14 days’ notice to reschedule or withdraw from a class. In the case of withdrawal a credit will be issued for another Virtual Training class of similar value. Cancellation/reschedule with less than 14 days’ notice is subject to a fee of 100% of the total price.
We reserve the right to cancel or reschedule a class up to 2 weeks prior to the start date. Any students in a cancelled or rescheduled class have the option of a refund or credit to be used for another Virtual Training class of similar value.
Training Course Outline
Module 1: Introduction to PowerPivot (30min)
- Why use PowerPivot?
- Data Compression and query processing with the VertiPaq engine.
- Installing PowerPivot
- Exploring Data with PowerPivot
- Hands On Lab – Installing and Exploring Data with PowerPivot
Module 2: Importing Data into PowerPivot (30min)
- Importing Data from a Database
- Importing Data from a File
- Importing Data from an SSAS Cube
- Importing Data from a Data Feed
- Refreshing the Data
- Hands On Lab: Loading Data into PowerPivot
Module 3: Creating the Data Model (60min)
- What is a Data Model?
- Creating Table Relations
- Combining Tables
- Linked Tables
- Creating Hierarchies
- Hands On Lab - Updating a Data Model in PowerPivot
Module 4: Creating Calculations with DAX (60min)
- Introduction to DAX
- Adding Calculated Columns
- DAX Operators
- Working With Text
- Using Date and Time Functions
- Using Conditional and Logical Functions
- Navigation Functions
- Hands on Lab - Adding Calculations with DAX
Module 5: Creating Measures with DAX (60min)
- Filter Content
- Creating Aggregates
- Using the Calculate Function
- Miscellaneous Functions
- Hands on Lab - Adding Measures with DAX
Module 6: Incorporating Time Intelligence (60min)
- Creating Date Tables
- Time Intelligence Functions
- Comparing Data over Time
- Semi-Additive Measures
- Hands on Lab - Adding Time Intelligence
Module 7: Working with PivotTables (60min)
- Pivot Table Fundamentals
- Sorting, Filtering, Formatting
- Working With PivotCharts
- Using Multiple Charts and Tables
- Hands On Lab - Building a PivotTable Report